Real Madrid remain disqualified from the Copa del Rey after Spain's top sports court rejected the club's request to temporarily suspend their removal from the competition for fielding an ineligible player, a court statement said on Friday.
Madrid have appealed their disqualification and also requested an injunction suspending the sanction while the appeal was being considered, the statement said.
The court said Madrid's request for an injunction had been thrown out Friday because "it did not fulfill the necessary requirements."
CAS president Enrique Arnaldo said the appeal was voted down unanimously 6-0 after a two-hour meeting. However, he opened the door for a second administrative appeal should Real Madrid provide more detailed information.
Los Blancos played Denis Cheryshev in Wednesday's last-32 first-leg game at Cadiz, even though he was suspended, having been booked three times in the competition when on loan at Villarreal last season.
The CAS backed the original decision to expel the club, which was made by the Spanish football federation (RFEF) earlier the week and also upheld on Thursday by their appeals committee.
A court official told The Associated Press: "Madrid remain penalized, they are still disqualified" after the ruling on Friday. He spoke under anonymity according to court policy.
"The court, which studied all the arguments in the case as well as the documentation received in the federation, has agreed that we will not concede the appeal sought by the club because they did not meet the requirements of the current rules. This does not imply a detailed analysis of the appeal," the statement said.
The club "must first request a report from the agency that emitted the decision as well as supply us with a copy of the entire administrative file with all information properly included," Arnaldo said.
Sources within the CAS told EFE News Agency that once all documents were received, a decision would be made within 10 days.
The CAS statement leaves a small door open for the CAS to change the appeal ruling as they have a scheduled meeting again early next week. The return match was originally set to be played on Wednesday at the Bernabeu.
Madrid said the game would not go on as scheduled in a statement on Friday evening: "The Administrative Court for Sport has rejected the injunction requested by Real Madrid regarding the decisions made by the disciplinary bodies of the Spanish Football Federation, in relation to the first leg of the last-32 Copa del Rey tie.
"The club respects the decision of the court, which means the second-leg game will not be played on the scheduled date.
"Real Madrid announce that they will proceed immediately to refund tickets purchased for said game."
Cadiz issued a statement on Friday saying they would have no comment on the decision until all the documentation is received by the CAS and a final decision is made.